Transfer from one university to another in USA

Many students transfer to other Universities for various reasons such as financial constraint, switching majors, on campus jobs, or they want to go to a better university.

Here are few conditions that are pretty much mandatory for your transfer to happen smoothly

  • Valid I20 is needed for admission to the University you are transferring to
  • You should have an F1 Visa and with valid I94
  • Proper legal status
  • The transferring University should be willing to accept your transfer
  • The classes should not have started at the transferring University
  • All fee dues cleared by the University you are transferring from
  • Your University should not have a policy to prohibit transfers during the first semester

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Opportunities in USA

The majority of international students enrolled in US colleges or graduate schools are under the F1 visa program which allows them to work under OPT. 

OPT is basically the right to work for 12 months after completion of a degree. 

Students under STEM fields – science, technology, engineering and mathematics – can apply to extend their OPT for an additional 24 months, bringing their total post-graduation OPT available time up to 3 years. 

If you are interested in knowing more OPT opportunities and which one would be suitable for your course, then please book an appointment with one of our advisors and we will guide you.


CPT refers to Curricular Practical Training. An essential requirement for CPT is that your university must have set this practical training as part of the curriculum. CPT is not an uncommon option considering the fact that internships are required in a great number of courses.  You are not eligible for CPT if you’re an exchange student.

What’s the difference between CPT and Day 1 CPT?

Curricular Practical Training is an option given to international students only after they successfully approve their first year of studies. However, in Day 1 CPT, things are immediate.  As soon as they start taking classes, the student can work either full-time or part-time along with the classes.


Want to know how we can help you with your further study to USA?

Latest Posts

Open chat