The global Covid-19 pandemic has brought about some instrumental changes, especially in the field of education. One of the major reforms being conducting teaching and learning processes virtually. While for some Institutions it has been a small move, by and large for others the virtual classes are a completely new way of education. In this blog, we will know everything about the benefits of virtual classes.
As the race is on to find the coronavirus vaccine, schools and universities across the world have started online classes. It can be said that virtual classrooms are the new normal of e-learning. Institutions that had already adopted technology were able to transition easily and effectively to complete online delivery of teaching amidst the pandemic with significant success.
The virtual classes are the heart of online learning now- a convenient form of anywhere and anytime teaching where your courses unfold. There are various similarities and differences between traditional campus-based education and online classes, but there are many benefits of virtual learning which a traditional form cannot provide. Here are a few that made our list of top benefits:
- Access to coursework across geographies and 24*7- This is one of the biggest advantages of online classes that you have access to your coursework from anywhere in the world. Since your classes are available online in the form of recorded sessions, you also have the freedom to study at a time that suits you.
Not only that, this way you can multi-task and you will also have time to do other things. Don’t forget that you are saving up time in commuting. In case you have some personal work, then you can complete your assignments while commuting by train or while you are waiting for your connecting flight or between meetings if you are a working professional. You just need your laptop, and you are good to go.
Now there is no need to spend hours commuting to your classroom. With online classes, once you log in to the student portal on your online university’s website, you are at school. At the comfort of your home, you have access to your assignments, recorded classroom sessions, and get assistance from support services. In case you are wondering about exams and grading, well worry not. Even exams are being held online and the teachers will give you feedback as well.
- Amalgamation of structure and freedom – Just because you have access to coursework anywhere and anytime, this doesn’t mean you have all the time in the world to complete your course. Online classes follow the academic calendar which will have deadlines set for the weekly assignments which have to be completed. Apart from this, the test will be held on a particular date and if you have been asked to submit homework, papers, or projects, they also follow the instructions. However, now you have the freedom to choose a time which will be best for you within a week for example. This will help you in managing your time as well.
- Effective time management – Another big advantage of virtual classes in time management. The online education environment is not just beneficial for students but also for working professionals who might want to study along with their existing job. Otherwise, in a traditional environment, it would have been very difficult for them to manage work, family, and study.
Due to virtual classes, you are saving multiple hours every week not having to commute back and forth to classes on a campus- isn’t this amazing? This will also ensure that you learn to do time management as you have to be disciplined and find time to study along with other work.
- Expanded worldview- Since virtual classes can be taken by students across geographies, this will give a fresh perspective to the whole curriculum and classes. With students from around the world, you will be able to interact and work with people of diverse cultures. You will also get the opportunity to work on group projects and various other collaborations with International classmates. These insights into other business cultures, attitudes, and problem-solving approach will help you in the long run when you start working.
- Asynchronous discussions with classmates: The learning is no more time-bound in virtual classes. In traditional form, Once you are out of your classroom you would not indulge in any discussions or might even forget asking questions the next time you attend class. But in the case of online classes, the discussion is never-ending and you are free to ask any questions anytime. The forum is open for all.
Many times, the student finds it difficult to formulate their thoughts when having a real-time discussion. When they finally do say something, the topic has already changed. But in a virtual classroom, this is not a problem. Since most of the classwork is asynchronous, online discussions don’t end when the bell rings.
- Immediate feedback on tests- With online exams and grading, your endless wait for test results is no more required. Once you complete your tests online, you will get your results then only. You can quickly see and analyze which are the areas where you did well and where you need to work more for next time. Also, once you submit your papers, assignments, and projects, you will have a separate dropbox through which your teacher will give you written or video feedback. Isn’t this better?
- Sharpened digital skills- Along with increasing your knowledge in your area of study, you will also enhance your digital skills wrt online learning technology. You will be aware of new interactive learning tools like taking online tests, dropboxes for homework, different collaboration tools, e-mail communications to faculty and fellow classmates, and video presentations by faculty.
Less absenteeism – Due to virtual classes, very few students will tend to miss out on classes as they can easily attend the session from the comfort of their home. Also, they no longer have to commute to their colleges.
Encourages shy kids – Another big advantage of virtual classes is that many children who were hesitant to interact in physical classrooms are more forthcoming with their participation and interaction. Shy children are more likely to open up during online classes due to a comfortable home environment.
Also, online classes encourage innovative methods of teaching with the help of technology and online tools. The virtual classroom is significantly helpful for distance learning.
As an online student, you’ll start enjoying these benefits of virtual classes as you experience the special and new normal of education.
So these are all the benefits of virtual classes. I hope you now know all the advantages of virtual learning.